Friday, March 23, 2012

Is Religion Necessary for Ethics

What "God is Dead" mean?

Neitzche was a philosopher in the 19th century.  He worked on a piece called "The Madman and the Death of God".  In the Madman and the Death of God, a man runs into a market area and begins to talk about how God is dead.   And the people their start to laugh at the Madman of what he was saying people thought was crazy.  Also saying that it was us who killed God.  I think that Nietzche used this as an option  as for not a need for God in our daily busy lives.  Many years ago, people didn't have what we have now and their society was based on war shipping god.  Now those who do that are very religious, doesn't it seem like there wasting there lives in a book.  Then exploring the world of what their God created?  But today we humans because its so modern we don't pray the diseases and other stuff.  Neitzche is saying that we have not really killed God, but that instead we are closing the touch of what the significance of God was.  Now theres a bigger gap from really religious and between not that religious.  But now people have different options and just need to find a middle ground like a balance.  I think that Nietzche is just stating that what is the significance to God to those people in the market place.

Do you find Rachel's argument to be solid?  Why or why not? do you agree or disagree with it?

I do not agree with Rachel's argument, a few reasons why I do not agree is because religion means different way to many different people.  One thing we talked about in our group was that, is it right to be born into a religion?  Shouldn't people choose, Rachel's states that the ones that follow their faith with no rationalising.  Also in our group we talked about how we didn't really know about other religions that well if it wasn't for history class.  Gaby said she wished that she got to see other religions and pick one her self.  We also talked about how people who have religious view points are stubborn and don't want to say that they shouldn't decate their lives in the way people did it many years ago.  I disagree with the idea that religion morals idea would not have nay morals and ethics with out religion.   But overall as a group, Rachel's lack of ideas on the topics that she covered we do not agree with is argument.

About the reading

I think that the reading I read about religion is irrelevant to ethics is mostly accurate all though I and my group disagreed to a few parts.  Religion also could hold against moral development.  I believe that it would be a a good idea for people to grow up and have their parents explain different religions in which then choose one if they wanted to be religious.  I would have a better balance in their lives because they believe in it.  I am Jewish but I don't believe in much about the stories that were told or stuff in the Torah.  And would give kids an wrong and whats right for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment