Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Epoch 5

It's weird to look at history when you lived when that event happened.  Like the big ones like 9/11 and like the wars we are in today.  And now that I am old enough to understand what is happening now in the world today and a few years ago.  It's odd looking back in history when you lived in the time of the event, because most of the history we learn is from many years ago or from 1000's of years ago.   I always think that you learn what happens in history many years after the event happened.  And knowing that you lived at the time is strange.  That's what I was thinking most of the time when I was reading epoch five.

Also knowing of other events that happened at this epoch that gets left out because its not as big as others.  And people wont know that it happened without people at this epoch telling its story.  It's kind of us the people that live around the world that makes the history and tells the history to others.  We edit bits and pieces of history out all the time and not even thinking about it.  People in the next generation wont be able to know those things that got left behind.

When I think about this epoch I think about all the biggest things like the first thing that comes to mind is 9/11 and then the U.S.S.R fell.  But I think about 9/11 first because it is the most recent thing that was so powerful and that hit so many families.  Also because I lived in the United States when the twin towers fell down.  I am sure there are important events between the Soviet Union falling in 1991 to the twin towers falling down in 2001.  Like Rwanda and how 800,000 people died.  I don't think about that, and there must be a lot more people forgetting about it too.  Another huge thing was the Internet we live our lives with it every day.  And for me, I couldn't think of not having a cell phone or a computer.  But when I think of people around the world with none of that, and that a ton of people live without it.  It is amazing to see how a custom people have been getting to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment